Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

What country do you think has the highest car ownership rate?

BDx13 - 1-14-2009 at 06:35 PM

post your guess, then check here:

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displayStory.cfm...

Discipline - 1-14-2009 at 07:03 PM

India

Boy was I wrong.

random - 1-14-2009 at 07:04 PM

i would guess some country with a ton of oil. i know Venezuela has some retarded high car ownership, since cars and gas are super cheap there. i remember reading once how cars are better investments than savings accounts there.

- NOW, LET'S CHECK THE ANSWER -

hmmm...

barc0debaby - 1-14-2009 at 07:08 PM

My guess would be California, maybe not a country.... but there are a lot of fuckin cars on the road.

Interesting, those bastards are loaded.

JawnDiablo - 1-14-2009 at 07:57 PM

I would say the USA or maybe Japan.....

JawnDiablo - 1-14-2009 at 07:58 PM

ha never thought of them...

Voodoobillyman - 1-14-2009 at 07:58 PM

Brazil?

nope, didn't see that one.

upyerbum - 1-14-2009 at 09:04 PM

I'm gonna' say Korea, only because I read something the other day saying ownership increases by 800 cars a day there.

........huh

Siczine.com - 1-14-2009 at 09:04 PM

I would have guessed America.

And it makes sense that a small, tiny, rich country would lead something based on per 1000. But I would like to see source information (which there is none, why I don't know) to see where they had Canada and Australia above America.

Americans own more automobiles than any other country and use 2/3's of the world's oil supply but obviously the fact that America is the third largest country in the world and the two largest are much poorer than America.

And after reading the comments I wonder if they included things like SUV's and not just cars.

Siczine.com - 1-14-2009 at 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
India

Boy was I wrong.

India and China are both huuuuuge countries but the general population are poor so they of course can't afford an automobile.

XHonusWagnerX - 1-14-2009 at 09:33 PM

I knew it would be wrong, but I guessed the USA

barc0debaby - 1-14-2009 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siczine.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Discipline
India

Boy was I wrong.

India and China are both huuuuuge countries but the general population are poor so they of course can't afford an automobile.

Most rickshaws definetly.

moforn - 1-14-2009 at 11:02 PM

I would have guessed the US- way off, I always think of the States as having a pretty car-centric culture. India and China's growing middle classes are starting to take automobile ownership for granted- if the populations of those countries start using anything like the oil that the West has been taking for granted it's bound to have a huge effect on world politics.

Dave - 1-14-2009 at 11:18 PM

my guess........
mexico.........

haha not even close, thats what i guessed from ppl's responses.....

canada #5...crazy we beat out the usa