Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board

The Clash- I need help

CR83 - 11-22-2006 at 12:16 PM

OK, we are doing a gift exchange at work. I drew the name of a one of my favorite guys here in our company. He is the best. He LOVES The Clash. I want to get him a definitive Clash book. I looked at amazon and found a few but does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks Thorpers.

gavin - 11-22-2006 at 12:19 PM

buy him the dvd

tireironsaint - 11-22-2006 at 04:27 PM

Return Of The Last Gang In Town. It's the updated and expanded version of the definitive Clash book and is really good reading. It's not fluff either, they actually talk about how the political angle was used to separate the band from the rest of the British Punk bands and a few other "dirty secrets" like Mick Jones and his failed attempt at being a Glam Rock star.

upyerbum - 11-22-2006 at 04:34 PM

Is that the same one that talks about them shooting pigeons with a BB gun being the inspiration for Guns on the Roof? If so, that's a good one.

tireironsaint - 11-22-2006 at 07:11 PM

Yeah, that's the one.

Rainey - 11-26-2006 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisReed83
OK, we are doing a gift exchange at work. I drew the name of a one of my favorite guys here in our company. He is the best. He LOVES The Clash. I want to get him a definitive Clash book. I looked at amazon and found a few but does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks Thorpers.

I would go for "A Riot Of Our Own." It's written by Johnny Greene, the Clash's tour manager from the early days, not some music journalist jerk-off. You get a real, authentic view of the band from someone who was in the trenches with them. A second choice would be Bob Gruen's (spelling?) coffee table book of Clash photos.

CR83 - 11-27-2006 at 01:13 PM

Very awesome. Great info Guys. Thanks!