Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maximum Rock 'N' Roll
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 01:24 PM
Maximum Rock 'N' Roll

I haven't read an issue of this mag in years cause I never liked it. Picked up a copy this morning cause I wanted something to read while my car was being worked on. Still hate it. Why is it that in any issue I've ever seen, I've never heard of 99.9% of the bands mentioned, including the reviews section?

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

Mood: gang green

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 01:56 PM

i like mrr. i have a subscription for several years now and must say they feature lots of great bands.
@discipline: maybe you listen to another kind of hardcore than mrr is featuring. if you like this tough guy or nyhc style you won?t find that much in mrr.they have more the crust and punk side of hc in their mag.

gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 02:07 PM

does bruce rohers(sp) still write for it?
he was the only thing worth reading in that hunk of cay-rap

you come at the king....you best not miss
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBadVibes
does bruce rohers(sp) still write for it?
he was the only thing worth reading in that hunk of cay-rap

yes, he still does. good column about oi! and old school hardcore.
he?s doing great reviews with lots of lyric quotes.
always worth reading.

btw you should download the mrr radio show.everyweek a new one with really good music. the playlist is shown on the site.
maximumrocknroll.com

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-14-2007 at 02:28 PM

I used to pick up MRR.
I haven't in many years.
In fact, I wasn't even sure if it was still around.
I always grabbed it at 3rd St Jazz & Rock (rip) when I'd go cd shopping.
MRR is extremely Left Wing from what I remember. Everything I remember in it was either jerking off Gilman St. or some anarchist stuff.
they had tons of reviews though. some articles were good, but for the most part it was wonderful for the hamster cage....
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 07:07 AM

I used to slightly enjoy it, but it seems to have gone way down hill.

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
clevohardcore
* Kick\'n ass on the wild side *

Mood: Sick Of It All, Youth Of Today

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 10:32 AM

For some reason I never bought this mag. Read it a couple times in BORDERS. Always saw it around but never got into it. Something about the stigma of ego I think. It seemed like the writers and who produced it were arrogant or something. Not sure but I think they have alot of cred I guess, but whatever. To each his own.

Each aspect of the soul has it's own part to play, but the ideal is harmonious agreement with reason and control.
moforn

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 01:24 PM

Does Mykel Board still write for them? His columns were always good.
panzerkreuzer
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moforn
Does Mykel Board still write for them? His columns were always good.

he does.

Spoiler
Posting Freak

Mood: All that scene philosophy never meant a goddamned thing to me

[*] posted on 6-15-2007 at 09:43 PM

I haven't bought a copy in years,but I still have a couple of boxes full of issues from the late 80's early 90's.

tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 12:24 AM

It used to be a pretty good zine. Actually at the time I'm thinking of, it was the best zine around as far as offering up a wide array of viewpoints, good writers, national and even worldwide coverage, good variety of reviews, and so on. It started getting more and more PC as Tim Yohannon (the founder and head guy) got older and sicker and then went completely in the shitter when he kicked it.

Bruce Roehrs was almost like reading a list of current bands that are either Oi/Street Rock or had some ties to that scene instead of a good column though. I swear you could tell that guy that a band had a skinhead in it and he would proclaim it as the second coming of Cocksparrer. Maybe he just liked everything that he heard, but from what I remember that guy praised every fucking record that was coming out in those genres and that was at a time when there was a whole metric shit-ton of fuckin' HORRIBLE stuff being released under that banner. I did always check out his column, but mainly just to see if he had news about bands I already knew about releasing anything new. It was almost like skimming the whole zine for ads, which was another thing that MRR was always good for since EVERYBODY put ads in it.

The reviews were like a puzzle, you had to pay attention to who was reviewing something and know what kind of stuff they liked so you could guage their review to tell if it was worthwhile or not. For some reason there were always some idiots in there reviewing records that fell into genres that the reviewer admittedly knew nothing about or outright hated. Don't get me wrong, I love reading bad reviews for records that deserve to get ripped apart, but when you have idiots comparing The Bruisers to Skrewdriver in both sound and politics, you know you have problems.

I occasionally pick up an issue and thumb through it, but I can't remember the last time I bought one. When MRR started really getting terrible several of the writers who were actually good and were interested in things that were getting shut out of MRR started an amazing zine called Hit List that was well written and knowledgable, but after a couple of years they lost their distribution and folded (if I remember correctly, them losing their deal had something to do with some underhanded dealings from the fine folks at MRR). I believe a couple of the Hit List people are involved with Loud Fast Rules now. LFR is probably the best one I've seen come along in quite a while, but it plays heavily to the Rancid crowd and I see just as much crap in there as I do good stuff. I mean that both in terms of who and what they feature as well as in terms of writing quality and production value. Almost every issue has at least a page or two where the print is so bad it'll give you a headache to try to make yourself focus on the type enough to read it. Granted, it does have a lot of good stuff gathered together in one place, but I think it could be better if they put forth the effort.

Veritas odium parit
Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 01:52 PM

I'll take LFR over MRR any day.

I think my problem with MMR is the politics. Sometimes it's just too left wing for my liking. If a band has an anti-racist song, they're assured of an amazing review based on that, even if the music sucks. I find a lot of the crust punk and peace punk nauseating most of the time, and to see amazing reviews for a lot of these bands and bad reviews for really good bands to be annoying to read. I read some of the columns and it's all "blame Bush, blame the government, blame your parents, blame schools" etc, giving the idea that nobody is responsible for bad choices in their lives. It just bothers me when I read how the government is to blame for everything that's wrong, rather than individuals who fuck up things just as badly.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
tireironsaint
* BANNED *

Mood: Beltones

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 04:02 PM

Politics are definitely the main thing that killed MRR. As Tim Yo got sicker, he got more fanatical about ultra left wing shit to the point where he became fascistic about his views and allowed several like minded people to start running things in his name. The few issues I've flipped through recently seem to have relaxed some from that ridiculous stance, but I don't think it will ever recover to the point of being something worth paying for.

Veritas odium parit
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-16-2007 at 05:31 PM

the last 2 postst more or less summed up what i was thinking

Go To Top