Thorp and Sailor's Grave Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hardcore: Stick the fork in it.
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 12:59 PM
Hardcore: Stick the fork in it.

This was kind of inspired by the First Blood thread, but not directed at them so I made its own topic...although I know we've discussed things of this ilk before.

Anyone notice how all these bands write "good" formulaic hardcore but theres absolutely nothing memorable at all about it?

I don't have some set opinion of how HC should sound, I like anything from Black Flag to Bulldoze, but I can't think of more than a handfull of bands in hardcore in the past 5 years...hell past 10 maybe even that don't sound like theyre just going through the motions.

The genre has really become a parody of itself, a paint by numbers retro movement that in all honesty really isn't any more relevant than your local karaoke 80's night.

...and thats my deep thought for the day.
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 01:21 PM

I don't know if I'd go that far. There are some good bands out there making it memorable for others. I'd say the East Coast is dying. I mean, the Superbowl is a prime example. We have to rehash bands and get reunions going just get folks to pay attention. The new breed of young kids look at all this metaled up stuff and call it "hardcore."
No one pays attention to the roots of the music......
XHonusWagnerX

Mood: hadDCore

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:04 PM

I agree... Actually I agree so much that one of the band ideas I had not that long ago was to have a band that played all covers of classic hardcore/punk songs. Bass, Guitar & Drums, but no singer. There would be some backing vocal mics and a lead vocal mic on the stage and it would be all based on crowd participation.

The name of the band would be....... HARD KORAOKE (Hard Kore-E-O-Key)

Quote:
Originally posted by REV.PAULIE
HONUS-as much as i can't stand a great deal of what you really like (for my own reasons that i would never hold,nor impose,against you),YOU FUCKING RULE!

YOU,HONUS,IS WHAT MAKES THE "EDGE" COOL.

YOUR FRIEND,
PAULIE

check out my post contributions at www.VinylNoize.com

20 1-color T-shirts for $100 at NewRepublic
morgan
Posting Freak

Mood: neighbors fighting

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:06 PM

I'm still holding out for the day hardcore is no longer the "in" thing and the mainstream forgets about it. Once that happens then its possible you might see some good new emerge that are worth paying attention to.

Support the arts, shoot a rapper.
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:08 PM

they used to have hip hop karaokee at silk city called "so you wanna be a rapper?"
i think the khyber should have hardcore punk karaokee so i can throw bottles at people.....
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:09 PM

oh they're philly bars for you non PA dudes
stateofdisgrace

Mood: Kill Your Idols, H2O and Eminem

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:11 PM

I always thought STATE OF DISGRACE was holding on to the roots of the music. We kept it fast, energetic with good sing alongs, circle pit stuff. Most shows we played, we were odd men out. I remember we drove up to Albany and some kids were yelling as we played shit like: "Where's the f*&ing breakdown?" or "make us hit each other". Some kid kept coming up to grab the mic and I thought he knew the words, but all he'd do was growl into the mic and then stick his middle finger up to me. I really wanted to smack him.
I always tried to get people to start circle pits or I'd tell people the chorus before we played a song. Some kids got it, most just wanted the chugga chugga signal.....depressing really.....
JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stateofdisgrace
I always thought STATE OF DISGRACE was holding on to the roots of the music. We kept it fast, energetic with good sing alongs, circle pit stuff. Most shows we played, we were odd men out. I remember we drove up to Albany and some kids were yelling as we played shit like: "Where's the f*&ing breakdown?" or "make us hit each other". Some kid kept coming up to grab the mic and I thought he knew the words, but all he'd do was growl into the mic and then stick his middle finger up to me. I really wanted to smack him.
I always tried to get people to start circle pits or I'd tell people the chorus before we played a song. Some kids got it, most just wanted the chugga chugga signal.....depressing really.....

u shoulda slugged him....
Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:50 PM

Quote:

Too bad they never did that shit when I was in the band... actually it makes sense why they never did.

I don't think it's just hardcore music, I was actually having this exact convo about popular music and just music in general. 20+ years later people still listen to and can sing along to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Public Enemy, NWA... I don't think any music coming out right now has anywhere near that staying power. Can you think of anything coming out right now that people will still listen to and remember in 20 years? Metal, rock, hip hop, nothing coming out right now has those qualities.

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttley
Quote:

Too bad they never did that shit when I was in the band... actually it makes sense why they never did.

I don't think it's just hardcore music, I was actually having this exact convo about popular music and just music in general. 20+ years later people still listen to and can sing along to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Public Enemy, NWA... I don't think any music coming out right now has anywhere near that staying power. Can you think of anything coming out right now that people will still listen to and remember in 20 years? Metal, rock, hip hop, nothing coming out right now has those qualities.

I also said something like this in a recent conversation .
So true.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 03:00 PM

i like country, reggae, and morrissey
"hardcore" is for fagzzz

you come at the king....you best not miss
CR83

Mood: Harm's Way

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 03:21 PM

I am so narrow minded when it comes to new shit. I am also lazy and need to be spoon fed new shit from people. I don't have time to devote like I used to. I need to hear state of disgrace because he is on this board is a good contributor.

What ruined it for me was downloading. It was so easy that I DL'd shit, listened a few times and that was it, then go get more. I was in such a "consumption" mode that it lost value. Also, I'm not a kid anymore and I am still listening to bands I used to listen to 20 years ago. I have figured out I do that because it reminds me of simpler times.

What I look for now is music that actually gets me to physically move. That is how I measure it now. It needs to have feeling.

Is HC dead? I don't think so but we do need something new and different to freshen up the water. The past is said and done. Let's not forget it but lets evolve.

I have no idea if this even makes sense.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 03:48 PM

i like real hardcore punk bands
the shit thats called hardcore is metal which is fine but it aint my thing at all
when hardcore stopped being punk, thats when i lost all interest

xcadmusx

Mood: old shit nobody likes anymore

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 03:54 PM

I'm right there with you on the stagnant scene that we have to deal with right now... The biggest problem is that it IS a popular trend (which is fucked up on sooooo many levels), so the kids that are into it are pretty much the same kids that are sporting whatever clothes are cool at the moment and talk shit on anyone who doesn't meet the fashion code. The hardcore scene is infested with these idiots. So, because they are all a bunch of conformists, they all demand that the music sound the same and that they have their breakdowns to show off how tough they are and shit. So, instead of playing football, these jocks play hardcore. It's all about promoting their own image and not about a heartfelt brother and sisterhood anymore. It's very hard to have a real sense of an underground scene when the type of people us older folks were rebelling against are now the largest number at the shows. It's a very shitty atmosphere these days... However, I hold onto the knowledge that this will stop being "cool" and these posers will move onto disco, or whatever the fuck is cool in a year or two.

This is why Back To Back, much like State Of Disgrace, gets booked on a shitload of bands where we are the "sore thumb" of the lineup. It's VERY rare that we play to a crowd that really understands what we are about and it's even more rare to play in a lineup with at least one other "real" hardcore band and not all metal or metal-core bands... On a positive note: we did play a show recently with a ton of these tough-guy jock-core bands with their crowd. When we were done, we got flooded by these same kids who kept telling us that we were a breath of fresh air and that they were so happy to see a band not falling into the same old shit they've had forced down their throats. So, I'd say that there are a lot of kids getting tired of the crap and are ready for something real. All we, as a scene (especially those of us with some wrinkles and grey hair), have to do is set the example and stick to our guns and not play up to the trendy bullshit....

Visit Back To Back on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/backtobacklvhc
MyOwnWay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 04:36 PM

Gotta say that i dont think a whole lot has changed overall. Metal infested Hardcore back in the days of Integrity, Ringworm and Snapcase. Hardcore is definitely good right now. Theres so many good bands I havnt been this into it since in the mid nineties.

The only problem is that we are saturated by this wave of "metalcore". Its all you hear about. But the vibe is still right. Granted, not having as many venues is definitely not helping things, especially in NYC. Which to me was the hot spot for Hardcore.

But the true feelings are still out there. Bands that actually enjoy Hardcore and got into for the same reasons all of us did. I have a great feeling about Hardcore right now. Its one of the biggest reasons why I became so inspired to start Awake/Strong. There was great music that wasnt being heard. Hardcore is alive and well fellas. Believe that.

Muttley

Mood: OVERKILL

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 04:41 PM

I started to edit my other post and then got caught up with shit here at work so I never finished....

In my opinion, all of this is why the music industry in general is really hurting... the lack of inspiration and creativity AND the fact that all radio (and MTV) is payola just makes this one of the worst times ever for music as a whole.

Discipline
* DRUNKEN MONKEY *

Mood: The Alley Dukes

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 04:51 PM

The book of hardcore was officially closed when Sheer Terror played its final shows.

I agree with Jason that most bands are all about a formula these days. I remember starting a thread a little while back about how everybody sounds the same these days.Back in the day most of the bands sounded different. If a song came on you instantly knew who it was, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Negative Approach, The Meatmen, Agnostic Front, etc. All the bands tried to have their own sound. When the "youth crew" thing started I think that's when bands really started trying to sound the same. There were so many bands trying to sound just like YOT, Gorilla Biscuits, etc.

I didn't mind when a bit of metal was added into hardcore because bands like the Cro-Mags and Crumbsuckers played hardcore with a bit of metal influence. Now it's a lot of bands playing badly written metal with a couple of breakdowns and adding cookie monster vocals and calling it hardcore. It's not about the music or the scene anymore, it's about who has the most colour vinyl and showing off for cameras so you can post videos of you and your friends "hardcore dancing." When the fuck did people start calling it "hardcore dancing?" What happened to slam dancing, or evening moshing?

I have actually made it my goal in life that on those rare occasions I go to a show I'm going to kick the shit out of anybody that jumps on stage to grab the mic and scream "BREAKDOWN!!!" I saw that happen when some shitty band was opening for AF, and I've seen in clips online. That really pisses me off. All that these little fucks care about is daning for their friends to try and look cool. Don't even get me started on the faggy 2-man dance routines I've seen some idiots get into.

Kids ask why all the older fans bitch about hardcore today, it's because it has turned into a faggy little trend of the variety that the original bands were against. Instead of being an outcast and getting beat up for being a punk it's become the cool thing to be. The straight edge trend really pisses me off too. I've met and known some really cool people who are sXe, including some on this board, and they usually choose to be edge for personal reasons that are logical. The idea that people choose to be "edge" because it's the cool thing to do pisses me off to no end because it's not the point. It's supposed to be a personal choice made to better oneself, not because all the "cool" bands are sXe this week and have cool merch.

Last part of my rant, I always amused by some of the kids at shows I go to. They see me and I see their eyes go wide and they start whispering to each other, and it's always the same thing, "holy shit a skinhead!!! What should we do." I hate to break it to these little fucks straight from the latest Warped tour, but without skinheads punk/hardcore/oi/etc. wouldn't be what it is today.

‘Do you know what a love letter is? It’s a bullet from a fucking gun. Straight through your heart.’
Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttley
I started to edit my other post and then got caught up with shit here at work so I never finished....

In my opinion, all of this is why the music industry in general is really hurting... the lack of inspiration and creativity AND the fact that all radio (and MTV) is payola just makes this one of the worst times ever for music as a whole.

I agree. My statements about HC could EASILY go for any genre.
upyerbum
Posting Freak

Mood: Condemned 84

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xcadmusx
All we, as a scene (especially those of us with some wrinkles and grey hair), have to do is set the example and stick to our guns and not play up to the trendy bullshit....

Exactamundo.

And really, nothing has changed, there's just more trendy, poser wankers than there used to be, but there's also more kids that are "down" than there used to be.

Well, its this place where nobody works, and the pigs don\'t give you any shit. Everyone smokes weed and gets drunk all day. Its a place where cunts like me and you can truly take it easy and relax. Know what I mean?
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:33 PM

i also like alot of bad 80s pop music
id rather listen to the gogos or the motels then all these new hardcore bands
boooring

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:34 PM

I'm really not even talking about the mallcore kids. That stuff has nothing to do with HC really IMO.

It's the kids that are "down" who are writing songs just as boring as the kids that aren't as the problem. Just because some kid has some ethereal understanding of his roots in the scene as a whole does not give him a free pass to regurgitate Killing Time riffs and think they're being different.

Christ I'm a grumpy old man.
gavin
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 05:39 PM

those mall kids are like on another planet then i am
i have no idea what they are about at all
i mean, more power to them
i am too old and whatnot to even give them a second thought
but i know enough to know that they have nothing to do with anything i am or ever was about

JawnDiablo
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 06:38 PM

I enjoy Madonna's first few records way more than the latest Hatebreed wanna bes
Madonna is fuckin good anyway. i don't care what people say.
Siczine.com
Posting Freak

Mood: Cynical

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upyerbum
Quote:
Originally posted by xcadmusx
All we, as a scene (especially those of us with some wrinkles and grey hair), have to do is set the example and stick to our guns and not play up to the trendy bullshit....

Exactamundo.

And really, nothing has changed, there's just more trendy, poser wankers than there used to be, but there's also more kids that are "down" than there used to be.

Exactamundo! haha that makes me think of Joe Crow every time.

And yes there isn't really any genre that isn't saturated with the same shit. But I find it amusing that in the same paragraph people are contradicting themselves. They say they are tired of the same thing yet they can't stand hardcore influenced by metal which at first was "new" believe it or not. I said this in another thread, whenever a band sounds so bizarre or different it's labeled anti-hardcore like Flipper was.

Hardcore kids, new and old don't want some new band that they can't rationalize. Go listen to brackets.retards.brackets or some shit like that if you want something new that will not only annoy peoples parents but most people on here. Face it, most of the people bitching about nothing unique coming are the same ones who want to hear the same punk shit done over and over. People hate on bands like the Daughters, The Locust, etc,. saying WTF that can be hardcore, they dress like fags and make retarded sounds. Well, guess what people thought that about hardcore back in the 80's.

And I'm tired of hearing about this supposed Golden Age where unity was in everyones heart. There is just as much unity in hardcore as there was then, theres just more cliques now.

And there were hundreds of copy cat bands back in the day too, just didn't have youtube and the internet to put it in everyones face.

Jason the Magnificent
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-22-2007 at 06:46 PM

I'd rather listen to the Cranberries than AF.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top